Sunday 13 September 2015

Twitter Chat on Advocacy

Following on from Thing 15 on Advocacy for Libraries, Rudai 23 planned a twitter chat on this particular topic. As I hadn't been able to take part in the Google Hangouts on Air, I was keen to take part in this get-together.

I know that twitter chats take place but I usually don't remember until after the fact so I marked this one in my calendar. Rudai 23 also posted a number of reminders on twitter so there was no danger in forgetting.  A link was also helpfully provided to the questions ahead of the chat so there was plenty of time to think about your answers and what was important to you.

I had never thought a great deal about advocacy which is why Thing 15 and the twitter chat were so helpful. It was great to get different opinions.

Taking part raised the following with me:

  • We very nearly didn't get to answer all the questions so perhaps 9 questions was ambitious?  I don't know what the normal number is.
  • Not all participants used the question number at the start of their answer so you had to figure out what question they were answering. 
  • I went to the twitter feed for #r23chat as I thought this was the best way to see the feed coming in. I don't know whether this is the best way but it worked reasonably well for me. Perhaps there's a better way?
  • I was quite slow at typing any responses so things had moved on a bit by the time my response appeared.
  • There is such a thing as a library calculator. I didn't know this so a couple of people forwarded the link to me. Also a short course on advocacy was highlighted - again a useful tool to have access to.
  • Rudai 23 is going to produce a storify on the twitter chat so I'm interested to see how this works.

Would I take part in a twitter chat again? I would. I'd mark it in my online calendar to make sure that the time was set aside. I'd use my tablet next time as the smartphone was a bit small for sustained typing (and it was a bit hot after holding it for an hour).

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comments, 9 questions probably was a bit ambitious. #uklibchat is usually two hours long so more time in between questions. Hootsuite is a good tool for following the hashtag during a chat. If you use a tablet you can set up keyboard shortcuts for the hashtag as well to save on typing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip about Hootsuite. I've heard other people mention it but haven't gone hunting for it yet.

      Delete
  2. Yes, the Twitter chats are quite handy. They're probably the #1 thing I don't do enough of that I really ought to when it comes to free, accessible ways of keeping up with the field.

    Thanks for your participation!

    #rudai23

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there are quite a few twitter chats. It's remembering when they're on!

    ReplyDelete