Sunday 13 September 2015

Reflective Practive - Thing 11

At last some breathing space! Thing 11 is all about reflective practice and how Rudai 23 is going. And is my time management up to scratch?

Before starting the Rudai 23 course, I would have said 'Yes, absolutely'. I know in my day job I can get distracted by things that others can easily do without my direction, that I am not great at delegation and like everyone like to do the nice stuff before tackling the hard stuff. In fact I would have said that my poor delegation skills were my biggest downfall. However since starting Rudai 23, my time management skills have gone to pot.



It could be that once I come home from work I don't want to spend more time in front of the computer.
It could be that some of the Things are way out of my comfort zone and so I put them off.
It could be that there are other things that crop up that I'd rather do (like reading my book).

Or it could be all of the above.

So as recommended, I made a study plan. And quickly fell behind with it. I will have a look at the Mindtools website as there appears to be a lot of useful stuff and hints on this site; not necessarily just about time management.

Thinking about Rudai 23:

  • I am doing the course alone. I haven't said very much about it in work; preferring to wow colleagues with my knowledge about social media and mobile technologies....not really. I just don't want to draw attention to it in case I don't finish it. It will of course be added to my CPD at appraisal time and also as part of my revalidation with CILIP. 
  • I thought I was ok at time management, but Rudai 23 has just highlighted that I'm a list maker, and perhaps time management and list making aren't the same thing. I also need to prioritise the items on my list so that the tasks that really need to be completed aren't left to the end of the day.
  • I'm enjoying learning the new technologies. The thought of some of them frightened the pants off me but once I settled down and got on with things, they were quite enjoyable. Also useful is the guidance on how to use everything and the hints & tips.
  • I know that everyone is taking Rudai 23 at their own speed but I don't really like the feeling of being behind. It's great to know that others are in the same boat, that life just overtakes Rudai every now and again. The Rudai team don't pressure anyone but have left good gaps in the programme to allow for catch-up and reflection. Someone is always reading the blog posts and leaving comments. They are also quick to reassure and offer help if needed. As time goes on, I'm finding that to fully investigate some of the technology, an hour doesn't really cover it. Sometimes it can be a whole evening.
  • I need to go back over my posts and notes to see what I said I would go back and look at. It's very easy to forget. I feel a list coming on.....
Something that would be very helpful would be to have a 'glossary' of sorts of the technologies, websites and tools covered. The entry would include what they can be used for and which Thing they appeared in. I don't know whether the posts will be available after the end of the course but it would be good to be able to dip back when you think one of the tools might help a project in work etc. Just a suggestion Team Rudai!

4 comments:

  1. I love your suggestion for the glossary. We will definitely look into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please. And you should definitely run the course again - it's a perfect way to nibble at social media without making a big commitment. Always good to have someone holding your hand as well.

      Delete
  2. I think the posts are intended to stay up after the course is over, so anyone can go back to them when they want to. I like the idea of a glossary, it might be something we can put together.

    I'd say it looks very good that you'll be finishing the course, I think you should start drawing attention to it, you've got a great blog here!

    #rudai23

    ReplyDelete