Sunday 9 August 2015

Reflective Practice - Thing 6

www.unsplash.com  / Leah Tardivel

Ah, reflective practice. The opportunity to sit back and reflect on what we've been doing. Not something that comes naturally; rather it doesn't come naturally to type up your reflective thoughts.  I've had some experience of this as part of my chartership journey many years ago. As I've just started the revalidation process, I've been trying to be reflective throughout Rudai23.


Thing 6 gave me the opportunity to look at other Rudai23 blogs. Something I had been meaning to do since the start of the course, but here was a golden opportunity to do so. Part of the course. I found the delicious link invaluable for this. I'm not sure I would have found the blogs otherwise. I thought it was really interesting to see which platforms people had picked and how they had set them up.  Obviously the platform affects the display and tools available but some participants had used some added extras while other blogs were quite sparse.

I've obviously been a bit hesitant using images without knowing where to get freely available ones and/or how to attribute them correctly. I read some blogs where images had been used and it was quite refreshing to see the mixture of text and image. I think my blog posts are a bit text heavy (hence the picture for reflection above), but not everyone had attributed their images which I found worrying.

I commented on some posts; currently waiting moderation, though I didn't always see how to do this easily. It now explains the influx of comments I got on some of my earlier posts - other people had reached Thing 6 before me. I'm glad to say that I replied to most if not all of the comments coming through on my blog. It's always nice to know that someone is reading.

Having read through some of the blogs, I found it quite insightful that we all face the same challenges no matter where we happen to be working. We all have similar traits and worries about using social media. We all seem to have signed up for at least 1 social media tool, only to have discarded it by the wayside. Rudai23 has forced us to pick that tool up again and dust it off. I also found that the majority of us have fallen into librarianship or working in libraries. Few of us have ended up in libraries from the outset first time round. It has all been by accident rather than design. I don't regret my path into librarianship as I'm doing something I love. It turns out that everyone else feels the same.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very much enjoying reading about your journey through this project, and I do like your observational writing style. With respect to 'usable' images, I can offer two further sources. Lots of photos on flickr.com are Creative Commons licensed and are searchable as such. They also make the citation code very easy too. As well as that your arch enemy(?) Google has some useful tools within image search. Once your search term is entered in google images, you can click on 'Search Tools' which gives you some additional search options including 'usage rights'. This makes it easier to find reusable content.

    Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reflection! For free images, I like Wikimedia Commons, as it actually provides the attribution information that you need, which you can simply cut and paste to the image.

    #rudai23

    ReplyDelete