Tuesday 7 July 2015

Getting Started - Thing 1

Ok, so here we are. Blog set up and writing the first post!
To be honest, I'm not great at social media. I tend to shy away from it; no reason why but I prefer others to take the lead on it. However, I thought that a blog might be a gentle start and had been thinking about starting a blog for a while (I don't do things in a hurry). I had no idea where to start, how to start and what to write.

Cue Rudai 23 which appeared in my twitter feed.  A bit of further investigation and it seemed like a good idea. In essence a bit of hand-holding through the maze of social media tools - and who doesn't need their hand held every now and then? Starting with setting up a blog, through to conferences, podcasts and live streaming to presentations and a bit of gentle networking thrown in for good measure. 23 modules in all - all will take me a little bit out of my comfort zone - hence the blog title. I've also started to work towards my CILIP revalidation so this will help clock up the hours of CPD and hopefully provide some material for future posts.  

Anyway, I decided to go for Blogger.  It seemed to be the best fit for me. I had discounted Tumblr but had really considered WordPress. The library blog in work uses WordPress and I thought that maybe it would be helpful to be more familiar with it (I contribute to the blog in work, but not confidently). But Blogger seemed to more geared towards beginners, and that's definitely where I am. 

So far so good. No hiccups or problems.

I'm looking forward to some modules of the course and a bit apprehensive about others (augmented reality? I'm not even sure what that is). The main thing is to have a bit of fun learning about it all, hopefully gain and maintain some great contacts in the library world and if it contributes to my work and CPD then so much the better. 

Best wishes
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment