Tuesday 27 October 2015

Mobile Things - Thing 22

Putting all the Things together is one thing, but putting them all together while on the move is another. It's good to see the Rudai 23 team covering this.

Answering the questions:

Option 1 - I don't have an iPad or iPhone.  I'm an android girl through and through. I did check the Play store in case Gumit had released their android version early but no.  It's a shame as I can see how this app could really work in libraries. Academic libraries could use it to identify the module codes that list the book on their recommended reading lists, or even to help identify ebook versions. However there is no point introducing this in an academic library if it only serves half the customer population.

Option 2 - I quite like the Pocket app. I had used it initially when I got my smartphone, tablet etc but haven't used it regularly. It acts like a document folder and is quite useful for storing things to come back to at a later stage. I'm overwhelmed keeping track of everything so I might need to scale things back for a while. However I don't think I can really comment on how Pocket works, its functionality etc as I'm not a regular user.

Option 3 - 23 Mobile Things. I had a look at this website and while I hesitate to get involved with another Things course, it looks like a fairly comprehensive course. The team that set it up aren't actively participating in it any more. I think that's disappointing. I can understand why they aren't as I'm sure it is as time consuming for the team as it is for the participants but the encouragement along the way has helped to make the current course. I think we need this - to have a sense that someone is reading and commenting on the blog posts shows that you have an audience - even if it is only that 1 person. The range of Things covered looks great. It bounces from twitter to maps, to QR codes, to Adobe ID, to ebook apps and digital storytelling. It's an extensive list; some of which we have already covered in the current course.

From the look of it, you don't need to work through the course week by week. If you want to put everything together, then I assume you should but I imagine that you could dip in and out of the Things that interest you. You do need to share everything via Twitter. I think that could be quite difficult. There are a lot of questions posed at the end of each Thing post and I think these would be better answered in a blog, where you have the freedom to write and expand on your thoughts. Though answering the questions via Twitter would mean that you would need to be very inventive with your 140 characters.

23 Mobile Things comes across as an advanced version of the 23 Things course. I'm disappointed that you don't get a certificate or something. Granted a certificate isn't the aim of the course but self-directed learning is tough! Getting something in recognition of that proves to you, your peers and your employer that you invested the time and your knowledge about what is out there is enriched.

Would I do it? No. Not at this stage but it is useful to know that it's out there.

Touching on some of the other questions posed by the Rudai 23 team -
I don't like using my mobile phone for work purposes. I have a landline phone in work for people to contact me as well as a work email.  That might not seem very helpful or customer focused but I need some sort of balance between my working life and my personal life. I don't give my mobile number out to customers, nor do I use it to check my work emails. My personal emails come to my mobile phone but not my work emails. My work email has my out of office on it when I'm not available, and it advises people who they should contact if their query is urgent. I will use it to test the WiFi strength or responsive design but not directly in my work.

I also hope that Rudai 23 was joking about taking your mobile phone out in the middle of a meeting and checking tweets if you're bored. This is really off putting for everyone else. Bad Rudai 23!

No comments:

Post a Comment